How to make a cranky 9 month along pregnant woman even crankier:
Wake her in the middle of the night with a cranky toddler who also has only half a nights sleep and been playing for a couple of hours, then skip out of town after you wake her and wish her a good day with the sleep deprived child who barely survives a GOOD DAY with his hormonal raging, emotional, irrational, exhausted, cranky mother!
So I need to vent a bit....Someone in my family (remaining unnamed) came to spend the night last night on their way through town. We called, as the night went on, to see when they would get here, debating whether or not to keep DEE up for them to see, since they would be leaving early in the morning but would be returning on they're way back home and stay for a week or so visit rather then for a night. Not having answered their phone (which has continually been a problem for this person in the past), we decided to put him to bed an hour late, and we did so, the said person arriving 30 minutes afterward. We visited with them for a while and all retired to bed with the plans set for them to leave early the next morning.
I have been taking Tylenol PM to help me sleep this last week so I won't kill my family, friends, or the cashier at the store as they smile to greet me. In the wee early morning (3 hours before DEE and I usually arise) I hear him talking and singing, but it's not through the baby monitor. At first I was alarmed because he is becoming very capable of climbing out of his bed and he can open doors now, so I almost jumped out of bed, but I waited...someone was talking to DEE. I recalled that this said person...in the past, has woken him up early on prior occasions to see him or because....well, to be honest, I'm not sure why really, but this was not a total shock to comprehend this occurring again. I ended up (being very irrational and cranky these last few weeks) thinking how awful my day will be cuz the person was planning on leaving in 45 minutes or so, meaning I would be up early and so would my son. AKA: Both of us would be awnry today.
Thankfully my level headed husband talked me through many other scenarios: The said person accidentally woke DEE when they were getting ready, or maybe they don't know his schedule and got him up when they thought it was right, so I wouldn't have to and could sleep in, etc. Then said husband got up for work and went to investigate. In truth there was good news and bad news. DEE was crying for 30 minutes 2 hours previous to when I awoke and said family member got him up, trying to be "helpful" and played with him for the 3 hours. When I heard about how tired said person is, I felt a bit bad Dee awoke them, how awful of me to jump to some many conclusions, and can only think that the Tylenol was what kept me from hearing him cry for 30 minutes straight (which is extremely uncommon as far as I'm aware). I probably wouldn't have been nearly this upset if I wasn't hauling around a 7 pound plus parasite (endearingly named so) on my hips 24/7.
But thinking back, if the person truly did think it through and really did want to be helpful (being a parent them self), playing with a 20 month old at 4 in the morning would not be the "NICE" thing to do. I could be wrong but I'd rather be awake for 30 minutes in the middle of the night rather then 3 or 4 hours earlier for my day, and I feel the same way about Dee. I think they had a little bit of a selfish motive in the choices they made, so my sorrow for their tiredness isn't too plentiful, although I'm no longer filled with rage and selfish indignation about having to get up early.
The good news: Thankfully when I got up, Dee was more then happy to promptly go back down (having only half the night's sleep he usually gets) allowing me to nap and currently he is down for a second nap of the day already. He hasn't been TOO cranky and because I'm a zombie I have declared today...MOVIE DAY. I'm a less affective parent and we watched a movie this morning....more is to follow after said nap.
BTW: this has been a little over dramatised for your entertainment...wait, no it hasn't, I really am on this extreme emotional roller coaster, but I did type it with a smile (please apply sarcastic tones where I sounded pretty outrageous). Not very charitable of me, I must say. Note to self: Need to work on loving my fellow man, giving the benefit of the doubt more often, and using less angry humor. Maybe after next week, right? "Sigh"
2 comments:
tweed,
i totally got your sarcasm. i'm glad everything worked out. let me know about the baby when it comes!
loves,
lofi
wowsers brenda. anyway i was just remembering somthing the other day. the brenda bender! i laughed a good bit over it. and thinking of the post from the other day i was highly amused by the picture of you standing on your head. why am i not surprised?
Post a Comment